Are you ready for our top 5 tips for awesome engagement photos? We often get asked, “How can we avoid looking awkward in our photos if we’re (I mean, he’s) uncomfortable in front of the camera?” Everyone feels this way, but you’d be surprised how quickly you can both take a big exhale, put your guard down and actually have the best time.
Once we’ve already worked together and you’ve seen how amazing the engagement photos turn out, you won’t think twice about feeling awkward in front of the camera on your wedding day.
Here’s our advice for rocking it.
1. Showing up in a pretty place and posing can be fun, but somewhere meaningful and familiar you already love just naturally puts you at ease. Ruby + Alex took us out to to the spot near Joshua Tree National Park where they got engaged, and it was the first time they had gone back there since Alex proposed so they were on Cloud 9 the entire session!
2. Nothing kills the vibe like unwanted attention. If you don’t want to be taking photos in front of staring bystanders or pedestrians, let’s not shoot at the city mural on a Saturday afternoon. Let’s go somewhere a little more remote and private, unless attention is your thing, then, mural it is!
3. Do something. Honestly, it totally helps, especially for guys. Having something to do with your hands, something to laugh at, a game to engage in, anything helps so you can kinda forget you’re getting your photo taken. Kinda.
4. Calm your nerves with little sip of spirits! Use this suggestion at your own discretion, but sometimes it helps to bring a flask in the car for a quick swig to shake the nerves.
5. Wear clothes you can kick it in. Nobody has fun in heels they’re just breaking in or a tie they haven’t worn since graduation, so maybe ease up on the fancy. You’ll have more fun if you can breathe and bend and bounce around.
Feeling stuck? I have a Pinterest board dedicated to engagement session outfit ideas here!